Monday, April 7, 2008

Today's Burton Station Story

It was in today's Virginian-Pravda http://hamptonroads.com/2008/04/development-beach-neighborhood-ongoing-issue

I've posted on Burton Station twice before: V-P on Burton Station (December 19) and "There You Go Again" (October 26). So the City of Virginia Beach thinks it will be different this time because...uh...they've decided to include some residents in the process? As the story relates, some of those who were there are opposed to what the City is doing. That the Virginia Beach City Council would do this in an election year demonstrates the contempt that some on Council have for the African-American community.

As Council will probably be adopting the redevelopment plan prior to the November election, hearing the incumbents who are up rationalize this will be priceless.

2 comments:

Avenging Archangel said...

Okay, I'm waiting for the incoming I get from status quoers anytime I raise an issue of particular interest to the minority communities. However, even if I didn't exist, the issues still would. I'm just one of those quite publicly airing them.

If you want to try to write it off as just me, you have the residents in the story - and the first comment on hamptonroads.com That commenter has called for Federal intervention on Burton Station. I've never pushed the line that far; I'd simply like the remaining Burton Station residents to be able to live in peace. They've been through enough already.

Avenging Archangel said...

That original comment is now off the boards there. Who pulled it down?

However, Jimmy Frost (a Huckabee-backing Republican) is now up.