Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Cedar Grove Day 25

Oh, we're still having fun with the change in buses for downtown Norfolk. Today's movie was EXPELLED: No Intelligence Allowed (great film!). Some notes from the trip in and out:

INBOUND

The Route 20 taking me to Norfolk was running 10 minutes late. However, it had posted Alerts on both the change to Cedar Grove and Route 310 (free Downtown Shuttle). It was the only one of the seven buses I was on during the day with them.

Coming around, the 2, 6, 9, and 18 were all holding on Salter Street. The 18 was interesting in that the route was recently shortened, as it was running habitually late. With the change to Cedar Grove and it being late morning, it actually had time to kill.

There was repair work being done on the parking lot at Cedar Grove. The TC had been pushed out from the edge, with a new repaved path for the buses. With it being nice weather, most people were sitting out on the jersey barriers rather than in the shelters.

I took the 310 into downtown about 10:45 A.M. There were 15 passengers on board.

OUTBOUND

Leaving downtown around 3:45 P.M., 14 passengers were on the 310. When we got to two ladies at the Radisson stop on Monticello, they asked "Where's the 20?" Uh...it hasn't come downtown in 3 1/2 weeks. They joined us for the hop to the Transfer Center.

The 3 was on Salter Street this time.

There were three buses parked ahead of us. As I craned to identify the first one, someone realized what I was doing and told me "23". I replied "That's what I need" and got in line to board.

This time of day, there were 60-70 people waiting for buses.

The 23 was about 70% full and being operated with an [yep] Orion. What our troll's problem probably is: I was the only White on board.

The 9 was again being operated with a 2000 series Gillig low floor.

CONCLUSIONS

1. Don't put away the Alerts yet: we still have an information problem.

2. With the parking lot being taken care of, can we do portajohns next?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I understand why buses don't run in Virginia Beach like they do in Norfolk - as depicted by these Route 23 comments. I see: it's only for their neighborhoods; we don't need them in VB. Now I know our VBTA plan makes perfect sense.

Anonymous said...

(or a member of the VBTA?)

Anonymous said...

This guy sure is making the VBTA look extremely bad

Anonymous said...

Aaron: it's an election year too
-Your sis Jessica Blaine

Anonymous said...

You're right Jess.

Will be funny to watch the war come November

Anonymous said...

Well, if you can't keep your website up to date, and you attack fellow bloggers (hey, where's your blog anyways), and you don't have a name?

You expect me to follow along?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I get it now. You're racist. And you expect us to vote for you? No can do

Anonymous said...

I don't vote for racists blog attackers

Anonymous said...

my my my are we all in a nasty mood? Buses only run for them. We in Virginia Beach do not need them. That's why I'm proud to be a part of the VBTA

Anonymous said...

before I forget: Michael, how many times do I have to tell you to TAKE YOUR BLOG DOWN!? You don't need buses. It's only for them.

Show loyalty to the VBTA