Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Allied Tech Fire

This one was a bit spooky. A fire broke out at Allied Tech late Monday morning http://hamptonroads.com/2008/03/beach-firefighters-challenged-stopping-fire-near-town-center

Ominously, I was next door at Bill's Flea Market when the fire broke out. Walking from my apartment to Pembroke Mall to see the movie The Bank Job (very good), I ducked in to see if I could find something to pick up cheaply. I was fustrated in that about two-thirds of the vendors were closed. In hindsight, that meant few needed to evacuate the building.

I had crossed Virginia Beach Boulevard from RBC Centura Bank, where my ATM receipt reads 11:20 A.M. The story says the fire broke out at Allied Tech at 11:31 A.M. Nobody in Bill's at the time seemed to know what was going on next door.

Coming back by about 4:50, I saw the fire trucks and smoke. As the initial press reports read "Bill's Flea Market", it struck home. Now that everything has been clarified, I'm glad that they're okay.

No comments: