Thursday, February 28, 2008

New Western Bayside Community Center

That's the latest name for the new recreation center that the City of Virginia Beach is proposing to build on the former Williams Farm property on Haygood Road. Ongoing are three days of interviews with community leaders/activists for input on the design.

It was my turn at 9:30 this morning. I was shown a Power Point presentation on the latest in such centers, then asked for my input. First, the professionals there were dismissive of my suggestions when they went against the grain. Second, their ideas are so ambitious that I doubt that such a plan could ever be funded.

Currently the project is in the City's CIP, but no construction money for it is programmed. The Center's Steering Committee meets this evening at Bayside High School.

No comments: