Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Long And Winding Route

Those familiar with Hampton Roads Transit (HRT) in Norfolk realize that Routes 4 and 9 are catch-all bus routes. They pick up a number of neighborhoods that otherwise wouldn't have service, crossing major routes where passengers can transfer. No regular bus rider would take the 4 or 9 end-to-end as a through route.

As I was riding Route 23 home on Sunday afternoon, a young lady said, "The number 9 will take you to Hell and back before it gets you to where you want to go."

FYI, Route 4 is scheduled to be split when light rail comes online, leaving us with the 9 to deal with.

1 comment:

Michael Ragsdale said...

So true. I've taken the 4 and 9 all the way before a few times. To let I driver know that I knew what I was up to, I said, "You go all over then world, then to Evelyn Butts."