On Thursday evening Community Conversation 2008 was held at the Virginia Beach Convention Center. Over 100 residents came to add their input to this weekend's City Council Retreat.
Each of 13 tables were asked to answer five questions:
Virginia Beach 2008
1. What are City successes for the last year?
2. Why I choose to live in Virginia Beach - assets worth preserving.
Virginia Beach 2023
3. My vision for Virginia Beach for 2023 - my description of Virginia Beach in 15 years.
4. What are the keys to future successes in 15 years - challenges, opportunities, and critical factors?
Action Agenda 2009
5. What issues, programs, and projects need to be addressed by the City during the next year (12 months)?
The input will be compiled and presented to City Council at tomorrow's Retreat session. In addition, the full input will be posted on the City's website ASAP.
The VBTA won't be happy:
1. On the one hand, 12 of 13 tables wanted more mass transit. The vast majority saw light rail as part of the mix.
2. On the other hand, only 1 table brought up greater use of referenda...and didn't vote it out as a priority.