Over the weekend Virginia Beach Taxpayers Alliance (VBTA) Transportation Chairman Reid Greenmun gave us a circus on light rail. You can read his comments here http://hamptonroads.com/2008/05/vdot-seeks-bids-new-midtown-tunnel-road-upgrades
Among his lies:
1. Why toll the Downtown Tunnel over Midtown Tunnel improvements?
It's the law, which he later admits he knew all along.
2. Approved light rail goes nowhere near the Midtown Tunnel.
It goes within a few hundred yards of it.
3. The port is the main beneficiary of expanding the Midtown Tunnel.
Yeah, it must have nothing to do with the thousands of cars that back up there daily.
4. He claims three tubes would be built at the Midtown Tunnel, costing "hundreds of millions of dollars."
No, the Portsmouth City Council has requested light rail accomodations through the second tube, not a third tube.
5. His first post is Messneresque, with smears by innuendo.
It reads like a Talknet post by the "Official Spokesperson". Fittingly, Greenmun was formerly the pencil-pusher for Messner.
Also, notice how Reid Greenmun simply ignores the law when it doesn't fit his extremist political agenda:
1. He wants to separate the Downtown and Midtown Tunnels for tolling, a violation of state law.
2. He wants to place a surcharge on bus riders to pay for light rail, a violation of Federal law.
The bottom line: the VBTA is going to lie about anything and everything to try to stop construction of a regional light rail network, yet alone extending it into Virginia Beach.