Sunday, April 11, 2010

Keep The 89 Cent Tax Rate

In the words of Toto, you voted to Hold The Line. 43% voted to keep Virginia Beach's current 89 cent Property Tax rate, 33% want the 92 cent rate City Manager Jim Spore's draft FY 2011 Budget is based on, 23% want higher than 92 cents, while no one voted for below 89 cents.

The obvious problem with that: that would have meant the VBTA trolls didn't vote for a rate cut. At one point someone had, only to change their vote. Just further proof that the VBTA doesn't want honest debate.

Speaking of the Virginia Beach Taxpayers Alliance (VBTA), that brings us to our new poll question. Vice Chairman/Transportation Chairman Reid Greenmun was one of four VBTAers I saw at Saturday's second annual regional civic engagement summit. The other three were well-behaved, but I plan to blog on Greenmun's antics later this week. In the Reid-length multiple question rant Greenmun hit the speakers with, he called for local referenda to be binding. Do you agree or disagree?

5 comments:

Jessica Clark said...

I vote NO because the term "VBTA Transportation Chairman" is an oxymoron

Tony said...

I was at the Summit as well. I found Reid to be fringe, certainly distracting, and borderline obnoxious.

Anonymous said...

I just heard from a friend who was there about Reid's antics. I won't post what I heard until I read your first-hand account, but it wasn't pretty, or productive.

Anonymous said...

Henry, I have to question your math...

If 33% of the responses vote for 92 cent and 23% wanted higher than 92 cent, that equals 56% who wanted 92 cent or higher, right?

If only 43% voted for 89 cent, that means that more people voted for 92 cent - or higher. Right?

Avenging Archangel said...

Yes, but 89 cents had a plurality.