Monday, January 31, 2011

My Card Has Arrived

In today's mail, I received something I've been waiting for: my NAACP membership card. I joined online early on New Year's morning. An automated system sent me an e-mail confirming my membership, with my formal card arriving today.

I've had a working relationship with the Virginia Beach Chapter since 2001, but never been a de jure member. I've thought about it, but always put it off. However, with the War For Inclusion in Virginia Beach escalating, it was a great time to come down formally on the right side.

No, I don't plan to become active in the Virginia Beach Chapter. (Hey, my calendar is loaded as is.) Nevertheless, it was the right thing to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An organization for the Advancement of Colored People.... What color are you?

Respectfully, while the name seems to indicate support for men and women "of color", I've never known this organization to work with anyone but African Americans so your membership confuses me.

Avenging Archangel said...

Yes, I'm White.

The reforms the NAACP seeks in Virginia Beach would empower everyone regardless of color.