Tuesday, January 1, 2008

You Know You're A Regular HRT Rider When....

For the third time in about as many months, I had a Hampton Roads Transit bus stop for me when I was neither at a bus stop nor trying to flag it down.

I went to 11 A.M. Mass today; January 1 is the Solemnity of Mary, a holy day only in the United States. (That's another story....) Walking home from Mass I had stopped at the curb, trying to cross Virginia Beach Boulevard. As I waiting for traffic to slacken, the Route 20 heading for the Oceanfront came rolling up. As it approached me, the bus slowed and put on it's signal lights. Realizing the driver was preparing to stop, I waved the bus off. She continued on her route.

Yesterday I was talking about the buses to someone who has never rode. I told him how there's a subculture on the bus; if you look out for the next person, they have your back. I just never grasped the drivers were also involved....

No comments: